Friday, October 1, 2010

And the candidates are...


Hey, I'm Kate reporting. I love this stuff, it's my passion.
The candidates for student body president are, from left to right: Meredith Hopkins, Hilary Lang, and Mia St. Clair.
Meredith, of course, is the spoiled rich snob who thinks she can get anything she wants just by snapping her fingers and saying boo.
Hilary Lang is the honor student who went to the national spelling bee last year. She just returned from a year at a California prep school.
Mia St. Clair is the star athlete at Adams. She dabbles in figure skating, field hockey, volleyball and basketball as well. Her dream is to qualify for the 2014 Winter Olympics.
In a few days I'm going to have to sit down with all of them, ask them questions about themselves, and write an article about them. Frankly I'm not wild about either candidate, I can't wait till I myself am eligible to run next year. I don't know any of them well.



And yesterday in the gym it was MY duty, as reporter, to moderate the debate between them. "What would you bring to the office if you're elected president?"
"When I'm elected president," said Meredith.
"You're not going to get elected," countered Mia.

Hilary added, "Besides this is Haley Hotchkiss' spot and whoever gets elected is just filling it until she gets back."
"Whatever. When I get elected I'm going to make sure I'm queen of the school and we have all the rockin', happenin' dances and parties."
I heard some boys in the back row applauding.
Then I asked Hilary the same question.
"If I'm elected president," she said, "I'll bring a sense of responsibility and leadership. I'll work hard to make Adams Middle School the best it can be."
Meredith feigned a yawn.
"Mia?"
"If I'm elected president I'll bring the same dedication I bring to my sports to this job. I don't like to lose and I'll make sure Adams Middle doesn't either."



Then Vicky Vaccaro stood up. I was surprised at Vicky, because usually she doesn't talk unless one of her posse does.

"Why do you want to become president?" she asked. And to my surprise she asked a good question.

"Why else would I want to be president?" Meredith asked. "Because I deserve it."

Hilary straightened up. "I believe I'm the person best suited to represent Adams Middle School and I'll be sure to do the best job I can."

Mia stepped back. She looked around the room ... and then stepped forward again. "I've decided to leave the race and support Hilary Lang's candidacy."

If this didn't get crazier...

No comments:

Post a Comment